Friday, November 07, 2003



the lord said to me

to love my enemies

it's black and white

but still a mystery



reveal to me

Lord bring me close to you

mold me you hands

i know that you're not through.



Heed the call

Satan will fall

the time is now.

it's time for change.



for eighteen years now

i've been running strong

i woke up this morning and realized

my work has just begun



i can see it so clearly now

it's like the writing on the wall

i don't need an earthly brother

i've got the closest friend of all.





this was the first song i ever wrote. this spring it will be 10 years ago. I performed it for a talent show of sorts with my best friend Todd Graves. We were seniors in high school involved in the local church youth group together.



yesterday the song came out of it's comfortable retirement to be played at my grandfather's funeral at my mother and grandmother's request. On one hand I was pretty nervous because i wrote this when i was 17 and yeah, it sounds like i am 17. but who am i to argue with my grandmother at my grandfather's funeral.



the room was not your typical church setting, more like a small gymnasium with a stone floor. I played it with Paul's acoustic guitar without a microphone. the room was very loud, so it worked well.



it seemed like a nice tribute.