Monday, January 05, 2004

[1]

On occasion I notice that I have receive a voicemail without realizing that I’ve missed a call.

Invariably when I listen to it, it tends to be a bunch of garbled noises. While I know that I should just hit '7' and delete the message I can't help to but to strain to listen.

Maybe I will be able to decipher something. Hear a voice I recognize in all the background noise.

[2]

My grandmother died on New Years Day. She was alone in her apartment at the nursing home and was found by one of the staff.

On the 31st I receive a non-garbled voicemail from my cousin Michael asking me to call him because Gramin was not doing well and her dog, Grimes, had been getting into trouble. He apparently did not know we were in San Diego and wanted to know if we'd be able to take the dog.

I called him back, informed him that we were out of state and advised him that since he could not take the dog to his apartment, the best option would be to find a kennel to use for the next several days. He told me ok and confided in my that Gramin had told him that she had lost the will to live. I told him I'd call my folks who were in Colorado at the time and let them know the situation.

On November 3 my grandfather, Gramin's husband of 50+ years died of liver cancer. In early December, Gramin was also informed that the lung cancer she'd fought off three years ago, was back. And she would be too weak to do any type of treatments. I hate to sound heartless but when you're dealing with terminal cancer I really wonder how much your 'will to live' really counts?

[3]

My dad called me on New Years morning and told me of Gramin's death. It was one of those things that you could see from a mile away: The phone rang in the kitchen, Lara's dad answered the phone. He told me it was my dad. I just knew what was coming.

Lara and I were renting a car that morning to drive up to the Orange to see John Sant. We opted to not change our plans because there would be nothing we could do by coming home early.

[4]

Later that day I receive garbled voicemail message. It got me thinking. Could those sounds be my grandmother?

My family, regardless of their religious convictions or lack thereof, all like the idea that my grandmother and grandfather are now in heaven together. They also delight in the idea that most likely they will have been enjoying the recent bowl games together.

I generally don't say much around this, as I would rather not get into some sort of theological debate regarding television being in heaven.

I just let it go. After all, if I can get a voicemail message from the dead, whose to say my recently deceased grandparents can't enjoy watching LSU defeat Oklahoma.